Monday, October 4, 2010

About This Blog

From the age of 8 (possibly younger), seemingly every sunny summer day of my childhood was spent fishing on the Elkhart River with my two older brothers and often my grandfather. As I got older and my brothers got their drivers licenses, our fishing spots grew in number and we started hunting as well. Mentored in fishing and hunting by our grandfather and a family friend (who previously held the Indiana State Record Buck for bow-hunting), our love for both sports grew as well as our talents. At the age of 23, I still enjoy hunting and fishing as much as I did when I started and spend much of my diminishing free time on the river and in the woods.

As many outdoors-men know, there are few more exciting times to spend on the water or in the woods than October. With the cooling air (and water) the salmon have starting spawning, which brings them into the rivers. This brings to pass on of my favorite times of year, my yearly trip to Northern Michigan to cast-a-line for these beautiful fish. Additionally, Oct 1st marks the start of Bow season for deer.

Although fishing and hunting with my grandfather has neared the impossible (health complications), my two older brothers and I continue to practice the techniques he so patiently taught us and maintain the love of outdoors he instilled in the three of us. During this exhilarating month I spend outdoors, I find myself reminiscing on the times spent with my grandfather, the conversations and laughs we shared, and how he would always find a way to use the triumphs and failures of fishing and hunting to teach me valuable life lessons. These are the aspects of outdoor sports that I continue to love and hope to share in this blog.

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting post, Daniel. My grandfather raised his sons to hunt properly and remains and avid hunter, though none of his grandchildren have followed in their steps. It's quite sad, actually, that the tradition of hunting in my family has been lost in that way; you're lucky to have it alive in yours. I look forward to learning more about it through this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine hunting or fishing, but my father would escape into the wilderness on occasion. I believe that it probably is more relaxing than my yoga sessions. I have a lot of respect for individuals that hunt for the sport, and don't just seek to "kill something." Even though it is outside of my realm, your post makes me want to try it out some time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To me and many other hunters or fishermen, much of the attraction is the camaraderie shared among friends during the fishing or hunting trips not necessarily the "kill".
    I would recommend fishing to anyone, especially with family members or grandparents. I have memories from fishing and hunting with my grandfather that I will never forget.

    ReplyDelete